Sunday 27 February 2005

A week of sore legs and junk miles

.

I was very happy to complete the Maroondah Dam 50km ultramarathon last Sunday. So happy that a week of relatively unproductive running make very little difference to my motivation.
The legs were very sore almost all week and all running was done at an easy pace so that I could recover. In terms of significant events this week. I managed to get my entry for the six foot track marathon lodged which was accepted. And I joined AURA, the Ultra Runners Assoc. I'll need to make sure that this coming week is a semi hard week and then I'll do a one week taper for the six foot track. After that I'll be in training for the Canberra 50km which is my target event to qualify for the Comrades Marathon in Sth Africa in June.

In terms of weight management I had a good week and ate healthy while dropping a bit of balast. This plan of not drinking Sunday to Thursday will make a big difference. So.... Going back from today the week looked like this....

Sunday 27/2 ~ 22km
What a great way to spend a day. The temperature was perfect , the sun was out for a flat "easy" long run today. I just decided to run for an hour in one direction then turn around. Was surprised how much distance was covered almost made it to the Westgate bridge. Managed to stay focussed on keeping the intensity down and relaxing. No heart rate monitors or GPS just me and the walkman. I figure I still should be recovering from last weeks race so I'll do another 22km type distance next Sunday in prep for the following weeks race in the Blue Mountains.

Saturday 26/2 ~ 6km
Easy one with my running pal. Good that it was easy because I was a little foggy from the wine the night before.

Friday 25/2 ~ 14km
Ran to work via Port Melbourne. Very happy to have done this two days in a row.

Thursday ~ 14km
Strapped on the Garmin 301 and rant to work via Port Melbourne. Felt very weak after about 10km and walked for a while. Still very sore from the race last Sunday.

Wednesday 23/2 ~ 0km
Day of rest. I can hardly walk. Decending stairs still present the biggest challenge.

Tuesday 22/2 ~ 10km
Ran along the bay past St Kilda to Middle Park. Major problems just walking, why am I doing this to myself?

Monday 21/2 ~ 6km
Easy jog to get the blood flowing. Was almost impossible to do up my shoe laces. Very sore but surprisingly my joints are in good shape which is amazing.

1 Comments:

At 3 March 2005 at 2:42 pm, Blogger Unknown said...

Congratulatiopns on finishing Maroondah, Brendan! You should be so pleased with that; all looking good for Canberra 50km & then Comrades! LL

 

Post a Comment

<< Home