Tuesday 21 March 2006

MdS Marathon des Sables Schedule - April 2006

.

Hi All, I thought it was about time that I resurrected my blog. As many of you know I have signed up for the Marathon des Sables, to be held in Morocco beginning on the 9th April this year.

I haven’t been training for seven or so weeks because of a suspected stress fracture in my right, medial side, lower tibia. So, I’m healthy, a bit fat, not fit but comfortable that I’ll finish so long as I stay within my limits (whatever they may be). The leg has been improving and I've done some light running. Also, now that I have a new set of orthotics I should be ok!!!

As you know I need to carry everything except a tent. Also the race gives me water in 1.5 litre bottles. I have almost completed my pack and I expect it to weigh 9.5kg without water. It is amazing how much food weighs. I will be carrying about 2850 calories per day and that weight 5.5kg. Ugh! The rest of the weight consists: clothes, sleeping bag, medical, compulsory items and the backpack itself.

Not much else to say apart from the fact that I am very excited. Here is my current itinerary for the trip.

3rd April - Depart QF29 23:00 Melbourne Via HKG
4th April - Arrive QF29 Heathrow 13:40
5th April - Depart BA6918 Heathrow 15:40 to Casablanca Depart AT461 Casablanca 21:30 to Ouarzazate (OZZ) arr 22:55 Own transfer to Hotel Belere, Avenue Moulan Rachid
6th April - Free Day at the Hotel Belere…
7th April - 10am Trucks drive 6 hrs to an unspecified location in the Sahara
8th April - Registration and inspection day
9th April - Day 1, usually about 24 Km
10thApril - Day 2, 37Km
11th April - Day 3, 36Km
12th April - Day 4, 80km includes night section
13th April - Day 5, either finish stage 4 or rest
14th April - Day 6, 42Km
15th April - Day 7, 14Km – Transfer to Hotel
16th April - 17th Century Kasbah Taourirt in OZZ
17th April - Depart AT460 Ouarzazate (OZZ) to Casablanca
18th April - Depart BA6919 Casablanca 10:25 to LHR Depart QF10 LHR 22:05
19th April - Transit via Singapore
20th April - Arr Melbourne 04:45

Will post again soon... Brendan

3 Comments:

At 21 March 2006 at 6:44 pm, Blogger Superflake said...

Good luck Brendan. I'm sure you kept that stress fracture pretty quiet.

 
At 22 March 2006 at 8:01 am, Blogger 2P said...

LOL well some people might call Six Foot Track (carrying a pack) light training!

I'd be opting for high fat foods - twice the calories for half the weight.

Getting exciting - keep us posted ;-)

 
At 27 March 2006 at 10:49 am, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I just wanted to be the first person to make a comment that wasn't a runner and/or that didn't have a profile photo of me running:) Good luck mate....and remember a bad day running is better than a good day at work!:)

 

Post a Comment

<< Home