Tuesday 14 June 2005

Race Plan - Runner # 54878

.

Lots to report but I'll save that for the race report. All I'll say is that the Comrades has so much support here in Sth Africa that the taxi driver was giving me tips on pacing and the 65 yo woman on the plane couldn't figure out how to fill in the arrivals immigration card but she knew the altitude elevation of the start and the midway and finish points of the race. How is it that a race like the Comrades can capture the attention of an entire nation?

The race plan..

Well it's very straight forward. I have maintained that my objectives are to:

1. Finish prior to the cutoff (12hrs)
2. If the opportunity presents itself to finish in less than 10hrs.

Today I met the legendary Don Oliver. I showed him my schedule and he advised me to go for both objectives because I've done the work required to get a medal.

So it looks like I'll run for a 9hrs 50min finish.

This requires a 4:30 halfway and a steady decay in speed to the finish. I already know that the steep declines into Durban are punishing and I know that I'll be buggerd by the time I can see the ocean (25km) to go but I think I can do this time. And if I can't I'll just revert back to objective one.

I must go, the girl in charge of the business centre wants to go home.

Brendan

11 Comments:

At 14 June 2005 at 9:46 pm, Blogger TA and the Gnome said...

We can't wait to see the race report. Whatever happens, you inspire us Brendan.

sfG

 
At 15 June 2005 at 10:46 am, Blogger Lulu said...

Good Luck Brendan. Can't wait to read the report.

 
At 15 June 2005 at 12:30 pm, Blogger Ewen said...

Good luck Brendan! I'm no ultra runner but I must do this run one day. Sounds incredible - can't wait for the report.

 
At 16 June 2005 at 5:37 am, Blogger Unknown said...

Hi Brendan, have just checked out the Comrades site and will be checking your progress when the race starts later. On the offchance you logon before the race..BEST WISHES! We're cheering for you!

 
At 17 June 2005 at 7:31 am, Blogger miners said...

Hey Brendan - wrong place to post a congratulations, but you're obviously a little indisposed to blog a race report right at this very moment ;)

Rest assured that all us CRs kept a close watch of your progress through the comrades site, regular update postings on CR from Colin, and there was a lot of talk in the chatroom last night!

Congratulations mate! What an amazing achievement. Can't wait to read the actual race report now

 
At 17 June 2005 at 2:38 pm, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Congratulations on your successful completion of the Comrades Marathon . . . . following the event live on the on-line map is sport in itself, I congratulate the race organisers too . . . Hope you're not too shredded!

 
At 17 June 2005 at 9:14 pm, Blogger Superflake said...

Had you on the race tracker from the start.Hope the race went well. Looking forward to the report. Congrats on completing such a mammoth event.

 
At 18 June 2005 at 5:11 pm, Blogger Unknown said...

Legendary!!

 
At 20 June 2005 at 9:52 am, Blogger Unknown said...

Big, big congratulations, Brendan, on your superb effort at Comrades, 2005. It was such a thrill to 'watch' you run as a little red dot & then to read your report of the actual event.
How lucky are you to have had the opportunity to run such a race & how proud of you the Chickybabe blogger is to see you do it! LL

 
At 22 June 2005 at 5:51 pm, Blogger Carolyne said...

You did extremely well Brendan, in my vicarious life as a Cool runner, I'm very proud!
It was wonderful watching your progress. Enjoy the time at home post race, you deserve it.

 
At 28 June 2005 at 6:31 am, Blogger Jen said...

I thought I'd left you a comment earlier - sorry. You rock Brenden! Congratulations on a marvellous achievement at Comrades. Are you still running at GC ? If so, I look forward to meeting you then. J

 

Post a Comment

<< Home